Quick and easy method to upgrade MySQL Community Edition – Windows Server
I recently crossed my fingers and went through the upgrade process to upgrade MySQL from 5.6.14 to 5.6.17 on my Windows server. (also works for 5.5.x to current)
NOTE – UPDATED 5/27/2016: If you are using the MYSQL Installer – Community (if that is in your Start -> program list, please use that to upgrade you instance. That is much simpler than my process below. The process below should now be considered a LEGACY process.
Don’t forget to run
mysql_upgrade -u root -p
to allow MySQL to upgrade all the tables to the new standard.
Through trial and error, I have found the easiest process to do this.
- stop the existing service via services
- command prompt (as administrator)
- change to the MySQL directory, BIN, and then type in mysqld –remove (to remove the service)
- If the above command does not work, try using SC DELETE MYSQL (put the exact service name in place of MYSQL). That should do the trick.
- go into the service manage and refresh and ensure the service is removed.
- go to the control panel and uninstall everything to do with MySQL (presuming this is on a dedicated MySQL box)
- make sure your data is moved to a directory on the root like “MYSQLDATA”
- delete every folder under programdata and program files pertaining to MySQL
- reboot the machine
- log into machine
- make sure .NET Framework 4.0 is installed
- download and run the MySQL Community 5.6.17 (or later) x32 MSI full installer
- do a fresh install
- Server type: Server (for production deployments)
- point things to the correct directories (e.g. your existing data directory, etc.)
- use the same root password as before (on the old install)
- add any extra admin users
- complete the install
- make sure the service is complete
- That’s it!
hope that helps someone else out there. I took the couple of hours to sort this all out for you!
Awesome! Worked for me.
Thanks a lot!
Nice Guidance, It has worked for me, since last 15 days i am trying to upgrade/install. After several trails at last i have seen this site and followed the given instructions then i have been successfully installed MYSQL 22.214.171.124