I have used this procedure to successfully migrate an installation of BUE 2015 ver. 14.2 to a new server, with a different machine name. If you are moving things from the old machine to the new machine and they both have the same names, see my post here and use that instead.
I used this procedure for a client who was ONLY using local disk based backups, but this will also work for tape/other device backups as well.
First, download this document. It contains most of the steps, with the additions/changes below.
Using the PDF document from above:
- Setup the new server. Patch it up to date through Windows updates. Join it to the domain. Make sure the machine name is correct (what you want it to be going forward)
- Install BUE onto the new server.
- This is SECTION 3 of the PDF, “Install Backup Exec on the Destination Computer”
- Make sure both the old BUE server and the new BUE server have the exact same
- Software version, BUE 2015 / 14.2 (etc.)
- Run live update on both machines and make 100% sure both have the same version and hotfixes
- Perform step #1 in the PDF, “Obtain information about the current Backup Exec installation”
- Perform step #2 in the PDF, “Move Backup Exec data to a temporary location”
- Note: it’s up to you if you want to copy directly from the old server to the new server. I directly copied things over the lan from the old machine to the new machine and left the old machine intact.
- Skip step #3 (already done above)
- Start step #4 “Move Backup Exec data from temporary location to the destination…” NOTE: Stop after 4.3. Do not proceed yet.
- Complete steps 4.1, 4.2 and 4.3
- In our case, this client was using a disk based backup strategy. At this point, we shut down the old server, shut down the new server, and installed the 3tb hard drive from the old server into the new server.
- we also made sure the DRIVE LETTER was the same on the new server for this drive as it was on the old server (after startup)
- On the new server, go to the BUE path:
- C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Catalogs
- You will see the copied over files from your old server.
- You need to make a COPY of the folder name from your old server and copy that folder (and contents) into the same “Catalogs” directory, but renamed for the new BUE server name.
- For example, if your catalogs folder contains a folder BACKUPSERVER1 (and within that folder are many files), create a new folder named for the NEW server name (whatever that is) and copy all the FILES and FOLDERS from within the BACKUPSERVER1 folder, to the new folder.
- You will now have to folders now, one named for the old machine and one for the new machine, each with identical contents
- On the new server, do this procedure:
open a command prompt as administrator and enter the following pressing the ENTER key after each line: osql -E -S .\BKUPEXEC 1>use bedb 2>go 1>SELECT partitionname FROM datapartition 2>go *At this point, the old server-name should be listed 1>UPDATE DataPartition SET PartitionName="new-server-name" WHERE PartitionID =0 2>Go * # of rows affected should be listed To verify the change took place; run the original commands: 1>SELECT partitionname FROM datapartition 2>Go *At this point the new server-name should be listed
- At this point, RESTART the new server
- When it boots back up, login and launch BUE
- if all went well you should be ready to go.